Monday, April 20, 2015

Labyrinth By The Sea

We've had a preview of summer, a couple of temperate days by the coastline in the past week. We still get the chilly breeze off the water at times, but the agreeable weather has coaxed people back outside after the long winter we endured.

















On one of those days, I ventured out in the evening to see the sunset at McCook Point Park in Niantic. This location has a beach and a grassy park and playground on a high hill. There is quite a view from up there. I stayed in the car for most of my visit, because the wind off the water was chilly that evening and I was giving in to my tendency to be a chicken when it's cold.

















However, I did get out for about 10 minutes and took a walk by the breaking waves. The fading light created a pretty glow over the scene. Some strapping young men were daring each other or playing some game, because about three of them took off their shirts and shoes and dove in the water for a polar dip! I'm sure the water is about 35 degrees!

















As I made my way back to the car, I wandered over to the side of the beach where I saw a signpost stuck in the sand. It turns out it was the entrance to a labyrinth created with beach stones. The sign indicated the folks at the Niantic Community Church were the creators and the sign listed guidelines for using the labyrinth. I decided to walk it.

















It's not a big labyrinth, so it doesn't take long to walk to the center and back out again. I wondered how a maker knows the way to draw out the path and keep it proportional and a correct design.
















Because the labyrinth is small, there isn't much time to get deep into reflection when walking it, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. When I got to the center I set down on the center stone a small piece of white seaglass I'd found by the water.






















Wouldn't it be nice to have a large, permanent labyrinth on every beach? A place to respect, reflect, and celebrate the beauty of where you are in the moment?

If you want to know more about McCook Point Park in East Lyme, CT, visit my BeachBathAndTrash.com website to buy my downloadable beach eGuide.

Thank you for stopping here!

~ Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post. I welcome any personal remarks.

IF YOU DON'T SEE YOUR COMMENT it may be waiting to be approved. Please allow 24 hours.

I would love to know about any broken links or issues with my pages. Use the link in the "Send Me A Message" section (scroll up, it's on the right side above). Thanks!